Rob V

Just an fyi...
New bearings can be had for about 15 bux.

If its from a school - assume its 3 phase - unless you are sure otherwise.
If its 3 phase make sure u know how you are going to power it - either a new
motor or phase converter.

Adjustment of this saw is a bit of a PITA (I have one and rebuild 1 from
scratch - its actaully an ongoing project)
The entire assembly hangs from the table.
On the other hand - it is a tank - cast iron wings on a huge table.
Its worth what you are willing to put into it.
I paid 400 for mine - I replaced the motor ($85.00) and new bearings (15
bux - but a bitch to change)
Took the entire thing apart and blasted everything - in the process of
rebuilding it back.
More of a labor of love and challange than a necessity.

good luck w/ it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Local auction will be selling an older Powermatic cabinet saw, Model
71. Searching here reveals little on this saw; www.OWWM has a bit
more, and some pics; a call to Powermatic turns up only scant info, no
manual, and a parts diagram/list (which they helpfully e-mailed).

What I know: early 60s manufacture date; listed as a 12" blade, 230v
saw; the sale saw was probably used in a high school shop (got that
chipped, institutional green, re-paint treatment), has full cast iron
wings but no fence/rails (that I recall), and I haven't looked at the
motor yet (won't be able to power it up).

What might be a reasonable price to give for this saw, given it will
probably need a complete rebuild (which I don't mind doing), possibly a
new motor ($250+), and a fence/rail system ($250+). I currently use an
old c-man contractors that I have sweetly tuned-up. I could possibly
move the fence I now use.

Thanks.

Dan