Rich

Default Secondhand washing machine motor

If the load you intend is not to large why not try tumble dryer motors they
run at a constant speed and some reverse so you can get the right direction
you need I think they are cap start induction motors!!!!! If you want a
washing machine try philco they had some massive induction motors on them
two sets of windings wash which could go in either direction and spin which
was faster.

Rich
"Adrian" wrote in message
Hi all
I'm looking to use a 2nd-hand washing machine motor to power some lapidary
equipment.
The last time I did this (quite a few years (decades!) ago) ISTR that the

motor
we used had very simple connections - as in LN & E.

While fixing the pump motor on our current washing machine the other day,

noticed that the main motor on this one has what looks like 4 wires going

into
the motor - and an outboard capacitor (or 2) - possibly motor start caps

??

Our local scrapyard is just up the road in the next village - but I just

wanted
to check with the group on the following points :-

a) What's the usual connection arrangement for washing machine motors

nowadays
- if the additional cables are for alternative speeds then all I need is
1750rpm

b) When disembowelling a washing machine to get at the motor, how much of

the
'peripheral' bits do I need to collect in order to ensure a working setup.

I realise that the precise details may vary between manufacturers and

models -
but generic advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK