Frank J Warner

In article , Dave August
wrote:

I'm ready for all the flames I'm gonna get, but here's my $0.02 worth.

I live down the coast from you in Monterey. When I moved here 40+ years ago
there were 3 sand plants that had 2 major products, Silica for PPG to make
glass from and .. uh yup you guessed it, sand for sand blasting. For 20+
years I've headed to the beach for my blasting material... Grading is easy,
ya find a big dune and the further up or down you go the coarser or finer
the sand is.. a couple 5 gallon 'food product' buckets will last a good
while.. as for a blasting cabinet , I use the back yard, when the sand costs
nothing who cares.. and yes I'm moving the beach to my backyard one bucket
at a time.. LOL...

And don't beleive those guys who tell you using 'unwashed' sand will cause
salt corrosion.. since I de-grease anything before I paint it I guess I'm
de-salting it too... in 20 years I've had no problems...

I KNOW there are several nice dunes south of 'The City'... take a drive,
enjoy an afternoon and... :-)

Dave

Flames? No way! That's the only way to fly.

I live near Santa Barbara, about nine miles from the coast. Like you,
when I need blast sand I make a day of it and take a 5-gallon bucket
with me to the beach. Bring it home and sift out the twigs, bits of
dried seaweed, grass seed, gull droppings, then store it near the water
heater to keep it dry.

Also no blast cabinet. My back yard is mostly sand anyway. The stuff I
bring from the beach looks better than the stuff that's already there!

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work: