shinypenny

an wrote:
Jen,
Sounds wonderful - where you live. One thing that I HAVE missed

living
in anonymous apartments is the interaction with old folks and people

of
other age groups. Kids too. I hope it works out that way for us too.

Responding to this again, because you got me musing. :-)

I used to live in the the typical, heterogenous new construction
"starter" development where everyone was of similar economic background
and age range, i.e., new families in the prime of their career. It was
fine - lots of people to socialize with and to have playdates - until I
decided I wanted a divorce. And then it became like a bad episode of
stepford wives. :-)

Suddenly, I was the neighborhood paraiah. Those I thought were my
friends, didn't want me around them anymore, either because I was a
reminder to the vulnerability of their own marriage, or a potential
threat (brazen hussy who might run off with their husband).

I like where I live because my neighbors have seen it all and been
through it all, and approach things in a stronger, more balanced, less
insecure light. For example, my one elderly neighbor, divorced over 30
years, who's ex is her best friend and business partner (they own and
rent out her home together). They weren't always so warm towards each
other, however: he left her for another man. But she got over it, and
accepted him for who he is, despite how bad he hurt her.

DF and I aren't yet married but live together as if we are. Initially,
we did get a few nosey questions, but then the neighbors just laid off
of it and don't really care, which is nice. They don't ostracize us
just because we aren't officially married. They treat us as if we were
married. Just the other day, one of them remarked I was the luckiest
gal in the world to have a man like DF, which was sweet!

These are just a few of the many intangible benefits one might derive
from a given neighborhood, that are very hard to discern until one
actually lives in that neighborhood, and is an insider, not an
outsider. Sure, they have a hard time keeping up with the shoveling,
and they pay less than their share in taxes, but my neighbors are worth
their weight in gold!

jen