Default Moen Diverter in Jacuzzi-style tub

We just bnought a new house with a Jacuzzi-style tub with a handheld
shower. The diverter (Moen) is mounted on the side of the tub and
doesn't stay up. We suspect either the cartridge is bad or the
diverter was never installed properly to begin with (inlet/outlet
switched). I can take apart the diverter, but the access to the
connections to the diverter is buried deep in the side of the tub. The
tub is surrounded by tile. Is there anyway to fix the diverter without
removing the tile from the side of the tub?

Thanks,
Jeff