dadiOH

Borax wrote:
Hi all,

I live in the great sSan Joaquin valley in northern California.
Typical summer temps are mid 80's to high 90's with about 14 days of
100+.

My house is 12 years old, 2-story with 2,000 square feet.

During the day the central AC does a fine job of cooling, but
frequently after the sun sets we get a nice cool delta breeze in the
mid 70's. The problem is that the house seems heat soaked and with the
windows and doors open and the ceiling fans going there is not enough
circulation to cool the house and the AC will still try to run (set at
84).

I am thinking that a whole house fan would be able to change the air
rapidly and bring in the cooler air. I am interested in real-worlkd
experience about things like overall efficiency, run times, noise etc
(we have a 3 & 1 year old that we'd really like to sleep
sometimes...).

I had the same idea, based on a window box fan that I used in college to
great effect. Put in a whole house fan in my house when building it,
sucks marvelously, makes so much noise we never use it.

I also have one in my shop. Vents outside, makes as much noise but I
don't mind the noise there and it really clears the air.

I still think a fan for this purpose would be great but you need to work
around the noise in some manner. Possibly enclosed in the attic, ducted
for intake and exhaust.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...