Wood Nut

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:02:11 -0800, Steve Knight
wrote:

That Krenov-style pivoting cross pin adds a quantum level of difficulty
to making a plane. Making the plane is fairly easy but that tenoned
cross pin is unnecessarily difficult. We just use a 1/2" dowel for our
plane kits. Works just fine and I haven't seen any deformation of the
wedge from it. And since it's wood glued into wood, there is less
weakening of the side than there is with the pivoting pin. The hard part
is finding accurate 1/2" dowels -- the ones at the hardware store are
always undersized. (We get them from Woodcraft.)

very true but I just thought of a easy way to do it. cut a triangle just large
enough to drill through with a hole the size of your dowel. now you have a pivot
point that will work well and change with the wedge. I did this on my infills
and it works well. plus it is pretty simple to do.
don't you just love finding accurate dowels? what a pain it is. I bring a block
pre drilled and measure them when I buy (G)

Steve Knight and Ron Hock respond to a question that I put on the
group. I quite honestly didn't expect to get this type of response ..
and is quite impressive that these two gentlemen take time to help.

Steve,
I appreciate your suggestion and will give it a try. Gosh knows ...
if it comes from you or Ron .... it is worth doing or trying.

Thank you,

Steve