Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Steve Knight
wrote:

very true but I just thought of a easy way to do it. cut a triangle just large
enough to drill through with a hole the size of your dowel. now you have a pivot
point that will work well and change with the wedge.

I have a user-made block plane dating to the '20s or '30s. It has one
of these pivoting pins, an oval with one flattened surface. Assembly
is quite neat - one side is a small circular hole to take the tenon
pin, the other is a clearance hole to allow it to be installed.
Because it's an oval, the clearance hole is rotated 90° so that the
pin is only loose when the iron is out. Normally the tenon pin is
pushed to one narrow end of the oval hole, where it fits quite snugly.
--
Smert' spamionam