mike

In article ,
Speedy Jim wrote:

Hmmmmmmmm. 70 yo galv and you're only going to
replace *part* of it? Chances are good that the
parts you *don't* replace are the worst ones.

Parts have already been replaced with copper. I'd like to now replace
the remainder. After pipes take off for the second floor, a di-electric
was installed on the main feed and copper was run to the first floor.
I'd like to run copper to the second floor as well (basically converting
the whole house to copper - except the city's supply which is galvanized
still).

You plan to re-thread old pipe in situ? Presumably
up on the ceiling? I wouldn't unless there were
no other possible way.

It's galvanized pipe coming into the house. Is there a better way to
change to copper rather than cutting, threading and di-electric? I'm
open to suggestions.

it was very common 70 yrs ago to use the galv pipe
as the grounding means for fixtures, switch boxes, etc.
throughout the house.

The electric system has been or will be updated so this should not be a
problem. Good point, though.

What's the motivation behind this project? Are there
specific sections which now leak and must be replaced?

No leaks, but terrible water pressure up to the second floor. The areas
that have already been replaced revealed build-up obstructing nearly all
of the pipe. I was amazed we had any water getting through the pipes.

My experience on lots of re-piping projects tells
me that this one isn't going to go well.

I'm here to learn. Any suggestions?

And this
post wasn't intended to be offensive.

And it wasn't.