BOB URZ

Hans Christian wrote:

I'm helping my daughter's school on a science project. Basically we
need to remove the lamp on a DLP projector and shine laser light into
the optics. However after we removed the lamp and placed the cover
back the DLP projector would not start. It seems that there's a
protection mechanism that recognizes the fact that the lamp is not
there. How do we disable this mechanism?

The projector in question is Infocus LP120.

Many thanks

Hans

I think you have chosen a project that is NOT a good one.
The power supply probably has a sense circuit for the bulb.
No proper start, no run. You probably have s single chip DLP.
If you do, there is a color wheel that filters the color from the bulb.
Since the color from the laser is monochromatic, what are you trying
to accomplish? There is a reflector behind the bulb to collimate and
focus the light into the optics. A narrow beam laser will not come close.
So, i think you have chosen a questionable project.

There have been speciality laser projectors in the past.
The strategic air commend used to use them in the command bunker.
I once watched general hospital on 6 screens at once on the laser
projectors (long gone now). They were dye pumped and definitely
had a very saturated look to them. The system looked like a cross
between a heart lung machine and a movie projector.

Bob