donald girod wrote:
I posted this before and got no response so I'm trying again. A

while
ago I used some wood I salvaged from a crate. It was fairly hard,

not
terribly heavy, had grain like white oak (very porous), was somewhat
greenish in color, and happened to be very curly--a very pretty piece

of
wood for use in a crate. But when I cut it, the basement filled with

this remarkable spicy odor. White oak has a very noticeable and
pleasant odor but this wood is positively fantastic. I encountered a

small scrap today, made one cut in it, and the same thing happened.

could work with this stuff all day just for the atmospheric effects.
Does anybody know what it might be? I know that if you ever smelled

it,
you would never forget it.

Sassafrass. It smells a bit like root beer.

The wood has with little chambers with oil in them that open up when
you cut, plane, scrape or sand it. The wood is a dead ringer for
chestnut, which in turn closely resembles oak.

It is Roy Underhill's favorite wood because of the smell it gives off
while it is being worked.

--

FF