michael

Tim Aberegg wrote:
Hi All,
Setting up a new (used) lathe and wondered what the group used for coolant.
My old mills have a gear oil consistancy "coolant" in them and I use
water/oil emulsion in the radial drill. We turn a wide variety of materials.
Thanks,

Used to use water soluble in my engine lathe. Mainly do CNC milling and
the lathe would get lonely sometimes. The water will evaporate and leave
oily residue behind, with fine swarf, etc. This residue was clogging the
passages for the way lube. After cleaning out, I switched to real
cutting oil. Coolant, like chips, will get into places you can't imagine.

buckshot