Wayne

Default Grounding, Ground loops

Hi all,

I've tested out my new VFD and it will operate
like I want it to. So now I ready to permanently
mount it.

Power will come from a local circuit breaker box
which the contains the hot wires, a wire from the
main breaker box which is from the neutral/ground
bus, and the local box is grounded by conduit. The
ground wire in the local box is not tied to
the box (but could be).

The VFD has 1/2" knockouts to cable to. The
physical connection is metal. It is connected to
the place where they also have ground terminals.

So if I run conduit from the local breaker box
to the VFD, then connect the ground wire to
the VFD am I going to run into problems
(ground loops, against code to connect)?

Same issue would apply connecting the lathe.
(grounding by conduit & wire).

I could use insulated connectors to connect
the conduit. But they need to grounded somewhere
for shielding purposes.

I suppose everything (VFD, lathe) could be
grounded only by conduit, but this doesn't
seem right/safe.

Anyone know the correct procedures for this?

Thanks,
Wayne D.