Speedy Jim

mike wrote:
I want to replace a large section of the galvanized pipes in my 70
year-old house. I'm comfortable with all aspects of the project except
I've never used a pipe threader.

I have easy access to the galvanized pipe after it comes into the
basement (there's no meter). There's two joints where I can start the
new piping (with a di-electric union). The plan is to start with the
more distal joint and hope it comes apart without breaking. If it
breaks, then I'll go to the more proximal joint (and pray). If that
piece breaks, I'll have to learn to use a pipe threader (which I can
rent).

So my question: How difficult is pipe threading? How likely is
70-year-old pipe to stand up to pipe threading? What's the best way to
cut pipe before threading?

Would anyone recommend changes to the plan?

Thanks,
Mike

Hmmmmmmmm. 70 yo galv and you're only going to
replace *part* of it? Chances are good that the
parts you *don't* replace are the worst ones.

You plan to re-thread old pipe in situ? Presumably
up on the ceiling? I wouldn't unless there were
no other possible way.

There are existing di-electrics which you plan to
uncouple? Or you plan to add them? I ask because
it was very common 70 yrs ago to use the galv pipe
as the grounding means for fixtures, switch boxes, etc.
throughout the house. Introducing di-electrics or
abandoning runs can result in electrical hazards
which don't become immediately apparent.

What's the motivation behind this project? Are there
specific sections which now leak and must be replaced?

My experience on lots of re-piping projects tells
me that this one isn't going to go well. And this
post wasn't intended to be offensive.

Jim