gareth

"Mike" wrote in message ...
"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mike
In itself I'm not greatly concerned about this, our only real concern
was being left open to any potential action in the future (it's a G11
listed building as well, so there is the issue of listed building
consent of course, but AFAIK, the work predates that anyway, so should
isn't an issue)

I would get that proven though (should be details in the listing

document)
as there is no time limit on prosecuting illegal changes to listed
buildings.

Yes, I realised that. One of the reasons we raised the issue.

The local conservation officer (or whatever they are called) has visited
the property before, it's unlikely the works would have passed unnoticed
by him I should think.

Give him a phone or visit before you buy just to check he is happy.
Unfortunately getting them to put this in writing can be like the proverbial
blood out of a stone so use one of those voice recorders hidden in your
pocket.

That won't help you when it ends up in court - a covert tape recording
not made within the bounds of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers
Act isn't admissible and would probably land you in trouble.