I've put the user manuals for the Inkel mixing desk and the Carlsbro PA
head on http://homepage.ntlworld.com/anengineer/ if anyone wants a
look.

I am connecting the line level output from the desk to the mic inputs
on the PA head, with a simple potential divider built into the XLR plug
to attenuate to the 3.7mV level expected at the PA inputs (works fine).
I am driving the PA inputs well - 0dB on the mixer output meters. I
am confident it's not a gain issue, it's just a noisy desk ! :-)

I won't have the PA head here until Friday evening, so I'll do some
further investigation then (i.e. is the noise only on certain outputs
etc).

Many thanks to everyone helping ! :-)

Cheers,

Kev.