Duane Bozarth

Dave W wrote:

I think this is a place where steel is better than wood. High heels get
caught in these things. Additionally, the pressure of a small heel on one
strake is way too much for safety. For that matter, consider your heaviest
friend carrying one end of the piano stepping on one or two strakes. The
wood tends to get VERY dry from the heat and is therefore weaker. In the
event of a grill breaking, broken bones, sprains and recriminations are
possible. Steel grill work can be purchased at the junkyard in various
dimensions. Painted to a suitable color it will outlast the wood version

While I might recommend against wooden grilles for large areas in
center of a floor, virtually all are near walls that don't get foot
traffic. Think you're over-reacting a little here...

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc....