Pete Snell

Default Best tool steel for wrench.

Hi All;

I need to make a special 'box end' wrench for a particular job I do
frequently. It's not complicated, overall dimensions would be about
1.25" X 6" X 1/4". One end would have the special shape machined in, and
the other end would have a 3/8" square hole for a 3/8" ratchet. Regular
mild steel deforms with regular use, so I lose the good fit on the
fastener after I've used it a couple of times. I want to use some
tougher stuff, but I'm not sure what would be best. 4130 hardened and
tempered after machining?

Pete
--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw