Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

My wife wants me to make a shoji screen but I would really call it a room
divider

Shoji uses sliding panels, supported in a frame. If you make it free
standing, you have to adapt the designs somewhat. They're also very
lightweight and you may find a heavier and more stable design is
easier to live with. Paper infills are quite easily torn and the
panels are light enought (unchanged) that they may even blow over in a
draught.

Personally I'd take a look at Frank Llloyd Wright's furniture work. He
was a great afficionado of Japanese design and also of living in large
continuous spaces broken up with the use of portable screens. Some of
his "not-quite-shoji" designs may be of interest to you.

Toshio Odate's shoji book is good - there are a couple of others too.
Genuine shoji making techniques are hard work - very precise fitting
of the joinery.