Default Water Softener for a Weekend Cabin

We have 2.5 iron, trace of sulfer and 8-9 hardness on our weekend
getaway cabin. A local plumber has said we need a $2200 softener
solution which will take care of everything. The softener is top of the
line, but do I really need it all? How bad will my plumbing get if I
don't do the softening at all? I don't mind spending the money if I
need it, but I don't want to waste the money if I don't. I could use a
much cheaper filter to take care of the iron issue, but it won'd do
anything about the hardness.