PatK

Default question about water runoff

Hi all,

I have a question that's been bugging me for a while. I live next to a
restaurant that has a parking lot that runs parallel to my house. When
it rains, the water runs off of the parking lot and into my yard, and
then down into my basement. There isn't enough room to slope the ground
from the side of my house to the parking lot because of a sidewalk. Do I
need to put up a retaining wall? Would a fence work? A ditch? Who's
responsibility is it to take care of this problem? I don't have the best
relationship with the owner of the restaurant (he refuses to make his
employees close the dumpster and trash blows into my yard all the time)
So I'm not sure what to do here. Any suggestions?

Pat