Martin

Default subfloor for tiles?

Hi,

most places (literature) I looked, durock is recommended as a subfloor for
floor tiles. I have currently 5/8" subfloor, and was gonna screw on 5/8" on
top of it to get the recommended 1-1/4" for plywood subfloroor, but now i am
not sure if I should skip the 2nd layer and just install duroc. The main
reason to go with plywood is that I have about 5 sheets of it. The main
reason for duroc, is that it is thinner, and wouldn't increase the floor
height so much. Plywood is supposed to be flexing more, but if you secure
it at recommended intervals with proper screws, is that still a problem?
So my questions a
1 - are both options acceptable? (1-1/4" plywood) or 5/8" plywood with duroc
on top?
2 - is the durock instead of plywood going to make huge difference?

The area to cover is cc. 100sqft, - 28 sqft for tub island.
Does the additional flooring need to go under the tub island, or can the
island rest directly on the main subfloor?

Thanks.

m.