TURTLE

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am house hunting right now. Most of the houses in Philadelphia
suburbs, that are in my price range, have no central air and in many
instances no ductwork. I am considering buying such house and
installing AC system, so I want to know ball park figure of hiring HVAC
person to do these jobs (parts/labor).
I tried to call a few local HVAC establishments. They offered to sent
somebody to the house to make an estimate. Problem is I don't have
house yet!

Here is the sample house that I am looking at right now:

70 year house with little/no insulation, single pane wood windows.
Radiator heat. 230V circuit exists.
Basement:
unfinished, no cooling/heating needed:
1st floor:
Living Room: 20ftx13ft
Dining Room: 12ftx12ft
Kitchen: 13ftx10ft
2nd floor:
room 1: 12ftx8ft
room 2: 13ftx11ft
room 3: 12ftx12ft

There are three solutions that I came across doing research on the web:
1) Install standard ductwork and vanilla central air system. I am not
sure if there is acceptable place to run the ductwork.
2) Install high-velocity system (space-pak?) with 2" ducts. I heard
this system is not as efficient as others.
3) Install two mini-split systems. My sample house has 6 rooms, but I
could not find any mini-split systems with more then 4 zones (install 2
systems - 2-zones and 3-zones?).

This is Turtle.

I have never seen a house that central could not be installed in but the only
difference was price of the way to do it or the way you wanted it done.

Now to try to give a price and a way to do a job on a example house or job and
try to fit it to the next job. Well Every job and price is very different even
with some small thing that one has and the other don't. Tring to get a price and
a way of doing a job over the internet or newsgroup is , well , very hard to do.

They do make a 3 zone mini splits now days.

TURTLE