Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Neil Jowsey wrote:
Simple question really...

Why use a dry concrete mix around fence posts and then water in
rather than a normal (sloppy?) concrete mix that can be poked around
the hardcore supporting the (concrete) posts?

Does it actually matter? I've got a fence to put up this Easter and
am just not sure of the best way to go about it.

Two summers ago I nearly killed myself digging lots of holes for fence posts
with one of those manual hole digging jobbies, then knocking up sloppy
concrete to fill the holes in again. I did consider using 2' post spikes but
the ground is hard and stony.

This winter two of the posts snapped at the bottom so as a "temporary" (yeah
right) measure I bought two post spikes from Wickes. The weekend just gone I
hammered them in and they were a piece of weewee! Went straight in, no
problems at all, and they're just as sturdy as concrete.

Never again will I dig a fence post hole.

Si