EN

The clear coating is called conformal coating.
I guess you've found out that there are different kinds of conformal
coatings,
silicone and urathanes. I have used Zip-Strip, a paint stripper, and it
'does not'
remove any markings from the IC's. The conformal coating bubbles up.
Use running water to wash the board off.

"philo" wrote in message
aurgathor wrote:
I took apart a UPS, and the PCB, including a significant portion
of the components on it are coated with some kind of clear and
shiny lacquer. This is nice for some things, but now I can't read
the markings on the chips. What kind of cleaner is best to clean
the coating from the chips?

TIA,
aur

i'm sure this will work

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8310.html

but i'm also sure it'll be toxic as hell
so be sure to use it in a well ventelated area or outdoors