frank-in-toronto

On 20 Mar 2005 17:07:00 -0800, "
wrote:

I am house hunting right now. Most of the houses in Philadelphia
suburbs, that are in my price range, have no central air and in many
instances no ductwork. I am considering buying such house and
installing AC system, so I want to know ball park figure of hiring HVAC
person to do these jobs (parts/labor).

i have a house with electric heat. we have a 2 ton air
conditioner on the main floor and i put window units
in upstairs as required. kids don't need them. fans
will do the trick on all but 2 or 3 nights in the summer.
of course, if you have to have air, then make your
offer conditional on the HVAC guy quoting and the
amount coming off the price. it wouldn't be much
work to put an air unit outside and some ducts to
the main floor. an HVAC guy could tell you if you
need a return air from upstairs. if you do, perhaps
it could go thru some closets. or if you don't have closets
under one another, make some.
....thehick