Australopithecus scobis

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:14:52 -0500, Steve wrote:

Would the brass and Rock Maple have enough friction between the
two to create enough tension to hold the irons? By Using brass rod,
your only machining one surface that must be perfectly flat.

My planes so far haven't used pins; I've been cutting out the mortises.
That said, I've been thinking about a pin-style. Wouldn't brass be too
soft? I've had brass rod bend when I used it in a cam clamp. Even mild
steel would be stiffer. (True, brass would be prettier.)

The Krenov style plane plans I've seen have the triangular cross piece
mounted loosely. Sure, you have to make the face perfectly flat, but it's
supposed to pivot on its round tenons to fit the wedge.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com