On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:21:30 -0600, "Dukester"
wrote:

I call it tearout for lack of a better term. Whenever I make a rip cut on
my TS with the blade 90 degrees to the TS top, as the board exits the rear
of the blade there is a large (maybe 1/16") tearout on the rearmost portion
of the board (that portion of the board that exits the blade last) as if the
blade were tilted slightly left. Looking at the board from the rear end
grain would look thusly:

------
------
\-----

The first 99% of the stock is dead on 90 degrees to the adjacent face. It's
just the last 1/4" or so.

As a test, I found that if I stop the saw before the stock exits the blade
but after the cut is completed, there is no tearout (I only tried this a
couple of times). It's consistent enough that I have trained myself to rip
larger than necessary and make jointer passes until the damaged end is
removed. I have used featherboards to keep the stock up against the fence,
and aligned and realigned the blade. It only occurs in the very rearmost
portion of the board, about the last 1/4". It does not occur when making a
dado type cut with the same blade through the center of a board, i.e. a kerf
down the center.

What's the deal with this?

--Cheers!
Dukester