Grant Erwin

The Glendo grinder was real nice for grinding lathe bits. I sold it, though.

Grant

Mike Henry wrote:

McMaster-Carr may be able to special order them for you if no one else
carries them.

BTW, wouldn't that Glendo grinder you(?) had FS recently be good for
finishing HSS bits? Or maybe you want to "finish" a little more than I'm
thinking.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

OK, I'm looking for CBN wheels, type 6A2C to fit Baldor carbide grinders.
don't see *any*. Anyone know of a source?

GWE

Eric R Snow wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:22:44 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I am bringing up a Baldor "carbide" tool grinder, a No. 500 with tilting
tables that takes plate-type wheels. I have no intention of using green
silicon carbide wheels. My intention is primarily to sharpen HSS tooling.
I have seen suggestions posted here to use diamond wheels. I am looking
at these, and at the prices they command I don't want to buy them in
every
grit. I plan to do roughing on a disk/belt grinder and to do just the
finish grind on the HSS tools (mostly lathe tooling) with the Baldor. I
have
questions:

1. Would these work? http://www.cdcotools.com/ (see the diamond wheels)
2. What grit?
3. Should I also be looking for a white AlOx wheel?

GWE

Greetings Grant,
The wheels you looked at on the above site are not suitable for
grinding HSS at the speeds your grinder runs. The diamond will
actually combine with the HSS causing wheel dulling and accelerated
wear. BUT, I have some 5" diameter cast iron rod that can be turned
and faced and used at lower speeds for lapping HSS with diamond paste.
If you want to use tour high speed grinder with HSS you will need to
use CBN wheels. CBN is almost as hard as diamond and will grind steel
without combinong with the steel. If you want I can have my guy drop
off some slices of the cast iron (no charge) to make your own lapping
plates. But even these will need to be run slowly to avoid pulling all
the diamond out of the lap.
Cheers,
Eric