Rick

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:13:03 -0000, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

I have been asked by my neighbour to construct a boundary wall ( the fence
fell over years ago ), but
I'd like to be armed with an idea of what is a reasonable price. I live in
the provinces, the wall will be 3'-4' high in 4" blocks, with
brick-and-a-half piers ( rather than block piers which look a bit
utilitarian if you ask me ), along with some kind of textured roughcast
coat. I need foundations too, the wall will be 15m long and have about 5
piers.

I'm wondering if there is a going rate for blockwork ( I heard
£1/block labour charge somewhere a few years back ), and an equivalent
figure for brickwork? I can cost the materials, so another way I could cost
it is by multiplying the materials cost by a factor to give me labour costs:
for example, I had guessed that materials are usually 40% of the cost, so
labour will be the other 60%. Any ideas? Of course there is stuff like VAT
and skip hire to add in but I'm looking for a rough figure.

By the way, I've 'phoned up 8 builders and had no success with
getting a quote so far, so my question isn't necessarily best answered by
"...get a few quotes from builders...."!

Andy.

Foundations = 15m*.3*.3 = 1.35 cubes conctere (100 quid) + skip (100
quid) + mini digger for a day (100) , whole job max 2 man days work
(200), say max cost 500 quid.

Walls, 20 square meters of blocks, = 200 blocks, 2 days work, say a
quid each for the bocks, sand & cement, all in 400 quid.

I'd guess a grand + VAT
The foundations costing more than the walls is in my very little
experince right. Labor could well be a good bit more if you live in
the smoke.

Rick