Doug Miller

In article , "Andy" wrote:
Doug,

It does say "elected". It doesn't say they can't "inherit" the office.

To "inherit" the office ("succeed" would actually be the proper term), one
would need to be Vice President first, no? And by Amendment 12, anyone not
eligible to be President is not eligible to be VP either.

Your right about the rest.

Actually, if you read *all* of Amendment 22, and *all* of Amendment 12, you'll
see that I'm right about *all* of what I said.

Andy

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Andy"
wrote:
Bush would have beat Clinton. I did hear a pundit suggest that Al would be
wise to pick Bill as his running mate. That would have been legal.

False. Having served two full terms as President, Clinton is no longer
constitutionally eligible to be President again (Amendment 22) and
therefore
is ineligible to be Vice President either (Amendment 12).

[snip]

If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
takes a 4 year break?

He/She already is. Look it up! Although most are too retired after 12
years.

False, again. *You* need to "look it up".

Amendment XXII

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more
than
twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as
President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person
was
elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more
than
once.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.amendmentxxii.html

--