chris French

Default Replacing skirting board

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
(Phil) writes:
I wish to replace 95mm skirting board with 145mm skirting board. Some
advice please -

1. Once I have taken off the old stuff , I will need to back-fill the
now exposed brick - do I have to plaster ? Alternatives ?

Why? Plaster doesn't normally go down to the floor for lots of
reasons. Since you are fitting taller skirting boards, there should
be no filling in required, unless you have pulled the plaster off too.

If there is a largish gap, or if it is uneven, drill, plug and screw in
screws along where the base of the skirting will go, these can be
adjusted so that the skirting sits flat against them.

2. I notice from postings that some people have glued skirting - is
this really going to work with 145mm stuff ?

Personally, I would screw it, or nail it if you are confident at doing
that.

I have glued it, and it would probably be fine, but I normally screw.
Esp. on our walls as they are so uneven.

4. And as to using a Mitre saw to get good joins...

not as hard as it looks, internal corners are normally scribed and cut.
I've used a cheap hand compound mitre saw from Screwfix for doing
external ones (and some internal ones)
--
Chris French, Leeds