John A. Weeks III

In article , Rob wrote:

I'm a new landlord and have started to review my rental
income/expenses for the IRS and reading the IRS literature now.

Tax question:

I replaced the worn rug in the rental house. Does IRS think this is
an improvement or a repair? Can you tell me why you think your answer
is correct for the IRS. I'm inclined to think this is a repair since
the house had carpet in it already.

Take the other advice to go look it up or call the IRS. But
I'll go out on a limb and speculate that it is an improvement.
I think it has to do with how long the carpet will last. Every
building has to be freshened up every 10 to 20 years, so I
think it would go as part of an improvement.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com