On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:53:10 GMT, someone wrote:

This particular property has not changed hands for decades, same as
neighbour, yet the assessment for this property went up by a HUGE amount
last year. Why would they just change the valuation for just this one house
?

Call the Assessor's office and ask them. The underlying info is
public record.

Ask them if an assessment can be challenged for being "unequal" (not
at the same proportion of value as similar properties) as well as
"overvalued" (assessed more than it is worth). Every place I have
heard of in the US you can do both, but YMMV.

There seems to be a lot of exempted properties around here for all sorts of
things and from what I was reading after I posted my question, the extra
tax burden just gets re-distrubuted to the ones that do pay taxes.

Yup. So when people about how great it is to have exemptions and
limitations in their area - the Q is, good for WHO?