dadiOH

Dick Snyder wrote:
My wife wants me to make a shoji screen but I would really call it a
room divider as it will be about 8-9 feet in width. It will be made
up of individual panels about 24" side. She wants it to have the
area inside the frame of each panel covered in a fabric that won't
let much light through. I'm trying to decide if the better way to
stretch the fabric which must look nice on each side of the room
divider would be over a solid piece of maybe 1/4" plywood or if it
would be better to do it over a rectangular frame that is empty in
the middle (imagine the frame being made up of 4 1" wide pieces. The
best way I think would be a solid piece of plywood but we both worry
about weight. This room divider will not be up all the time but will
only be put up when the space it is dividing needs to be closed off
for some temporary sleeping arrangements. I know the rectangular
frame over which the fabric is stretched would be lighter but I

You said it was to be a room divider but also said the individual panels
would be about "24" side". Since it is to be a room divider, I assume
each panel will be *more* than 24" tall? Or do you plan to stack
24"x24" panel on top of others?

If the latter, you should be able to stretch fabric over a 24"x24" panel
without deflecting the frame members. If each panel is 24" by height of
panel, panel being 5-6 feet high, then no, the scantling of your frame
members won't allow it IMO.
________________

I can't find anything that gives me a clue by using google. I'm
guessing that one or more of you have made something similar. What
would you advise?

Years ago, I built a bunch of screens like that to use as backgrounds (I
was a photographer) Don't recall exactly the sizes but they were
approximately 8' wide x 7' tall. I used 3/4 x 1 1/4 stock for the
frames. Inserts were 1/4 ply covered with wallpaper (1/8 door skin ply
would probably work too). The screens weren't all that heavy, I was
easily able to schlepp them around myself.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...