Don Klipstein

In article , Gary J Tait wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:51:00 GMT, DaveC wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:01:16 -0800, Yukio YANO wrote
(in article MTi%d.737577$Xk.205221@pd7tw3no):

use a small amount of SILICONE grease on point of contact to stop the
oxidation and lower the temperature at point of contact.

Hmm... don't want to get grease *into* the connection, do I? Silicon grease
is an insulator.

Exactly how will this lower the temperature? The grease, as I understand it,
is a conductor of heat, but without a heat sink to conduct the heat *to*,
grease alone won't help, will it?

Or am I missing something important here?

The pin on the lamp will displace enough silicoine to make an
electrical connetion. The silicone will keep the metals from
oxidising. My worry is the heat melting the silicone enough to cause
it to ooze out.

Although replacing the socket with a better one is preferred, I do dare
to say that I consider heat an unlikely enemy of silicone. If it is
liquid enough to get in at room temperature, I expect it be only a little
more liquid 500 degrees F or 275 degrees C hotter.

- Don Klipstein )