Andy Hall

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:15:01 +0000, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

However, a week later, I am still getting quite a number of connection
attempts to the old address. This is way past normal DNS server and
other network software timeouts as far as I know. I did some address
checking and almost all are from known spam server sources.
It seems that they cache IP addresses for a long time or deliberately
store them, which rather surprised me.....
Perhaps it's to save doing as many DNS lookups?

Interesting - it's possible that the 'better' (more effective, *not*
morally superior) spammers now keep an IP address of a 'live last time
we tried' SMTP listener for each domain they spam - as it's possible
that some ISPs have started to block or tarpit large numbers of MX
queries from a single IP address in a short period of time from machines
other than their own outward-facing mailservers...

I was wonderig that or possibly simply taking out a DNS query. If
it's to the other side of the world plus the server response, that
adds up to a lot of dead time of there are lots of relatively short
messages

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl