CAM2

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
one mechanic said "grand cherokee" the others said "cherokee" Again, I
can't say if it was anything but this one shop's experience.

all I can do is relate my personal experience.
I bought my grand new in 96 and I am the only driver. It has 6 cylinder
4L motor with select trac T-case. The select trac allows 2wd, full time
and part time 4wd. This is the primary reason I choose the jeep
over the other vehicles like the exploder and blazer which had
inferior 4wd systems (at least at that time).

Guess again. The Jeep transfer case was made by New Venture Gear. As was the
GM transfer case. Ford uses a bulletproof Borg-Warner on the later Explorers
(early ones used- you guessed it- the New Venture Gear transfer case).

The standard Cherokee is notorious for QC problems, sloppy workmanship, and
poor resale value. Jeep trades on their (formerly) good name just like
Harley does.