Franc Zabkar

On 19 Mar 2005 12:30:37 -0800, "losinj" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Hi.
I've just unearthed my vintage CD207 player from the loft, which is
where it's been stored for years since it went faulty, preparing to
chuck it out. To my surprise, it worked - for a few days, anyway. Now
it is faulty again, so the problem seems to be intermittent - a dry
joint maybe.
The audio sounds fine. The problem seems to be with the motor drive.
This revs up a couple of times when first switched on (its normal
behaviour), but then runs continuously instead of stopping. If a disc
is mounted first, it will spin out of control.
I read an earlier post about a CD207 owner having problems with dry
joints.

The very early Philips/Marantz players had double-sided PCBs. A common
problem was dry joints at the thru-holes, especially those connected
to the ground planes. IIRC, the motor could even spin backwards when
these faults were present. The most reliable fix, as implemented in
later models, was to fit pins to each hole.

- Franc Zabkar