Nicky

Maybe a mill shop in your are with a wide belt sander. Fast and cheap.

"sidney" wrote in message
1. The mini-gloat:

Some time age, found a workbench for sale. It was salvaged from an old
metalwork shop that had shut down, and was severely distressed and gunked
with old oil, grease and other congealed nastiness. Under this layer of
crap was 1 3/4 inch thick laminated maple top, 30 by 72. The legs are
bolted-on steel channel--nothing special, but perfectly functional. Cost:
50 bucks.

2. The don't do this:

In an effort to "restore" the top, I went at it with a Bailey #3 (yeah, I
know, but it was all I had). Needless to say, while the layer of crap is
gone, the top is now anything but flat. Gouges, dips and humps to the

tune
of about 1/8 inch. It didn't do the plane blade much good, either.

3. The newbie question:

I claim ignorance for the above transgression, being a relative

wooddorking
newbie, and appeal to the vast pool of knowledge here for advise on how to
go about flattening this top. Options I'm considering include going at it
with a #7 and/or a belt sander with sanding frame, neither of which do I
currently own. Any suggestions or advice on the right way to go about

this
would be greatly appreciated.

It is my sincere hope that responses to this post can be used as
justification to SWMBO for me to procure more tools.

Thanks in advance.