J. Clarke wrote:

I'm curious--do you just need to flatten the bottom so it doesn't

rock or is
it bowed enough that the pieces move around and you have to flatten

the top
as well? If the latter, then consider that the playing surface is

almost
certainly veneer and likely only a fraction of an inch thick.

There are shops around with planers big enough to handle stock 22"

wide.
Best bet is to call around.

Might do better to put it on a flat surface with some weight.

--
--John

Hi John,

Both top and bottom need flattening. I already flattened the bottom
(just the bottom of the frame needed it; it has a recessed panel). The
bottom has bowed since then and I think the top as well. Maybe I
accelerated that process by removing material from the bottom of the
frame?

As I said above, the squares are 3/4 walnut and soft maple, the frame
3/4 soft maple, the panel looks like ash.

I'll give some effort over time and try to fix it. If the wood doesn't
move over several months I'll put a finish on it.

If all goes well I guess I should finish the underside panel as well or
face the same problem later as leaving just the top finished may induce
stress?

Thanks for your reply John.