Doug Miller wrote:

I think your first step ought to be to talk to the guy who made it

for you,
and see what he can/will do to fix it.

Can I find a planer at a furniture shop so big? Otherwise it looks

like
a lot of sanding is in my future.

Possible, but somewhat doubtful. You're *much* more likely to find a

cabinet
shop, or hardwood dealer, with a thickness sander wide enough to

handle that.
Post your location here, and I'll bet somebody chimes in to tell you

who to
contact.

You probably don't want to plane it anyway. Chessboards are usually

built with
the wood grain in the dark and light squares mutually perpendicular,

like
this:

||==||==||==||==
==||==||==||==||
||==||==||==||==
==||==||==||==||
etc

and no matter how you plane that (except diagonally, in which case

you'd need
a 30" planer) you're going to get some tearout. A sander avoids that

problem.

Probably, it will be necessary to shim it on the bottom side as it

goes
through the sander, to keep it stable and level. After one side is

sanded
flat, turn it over and sand the other side too. Try to remove an

equal amount
of wood from each face; otherwise, it's likely to cup again.

Once it's flat, you should use a random-orbit sander to remove the

ridges and
grooves left by the thickness sander. I'd start out with 100-grit

sandpaper,
then 150, and then 220. Apply the finish of your choice, and you're

done.

--
Regards,

Thanks. I have some cabinet shops not so far away from me. Thanks for
the advice.