~Roy~

They normally use a wound spring such as is found in a clock or a
recoil starter for a smallengine. It may be that the end of the spring
on this used drill press is broken. The spring is usually located
opposte side of the handle, under a cover. Remove cover, being
carefull that it does not fly apart on you and examine the spring
ends. One end usually fits into a notch in thre cover and the other
(inner) portion fits into the cross shaft of the handle. It may also
be that it wa taken apart and reassembled wrong or it may have been
made on a Friday or Monday in a china slave shop and it just turnedout
that way, and only needs reversing.

On 20 Mar 2005 06:58:23 -0800, "a6016" wrote:

===I have some experience but this is a first for me: I'm not sure of the
===nomenclature but drill presses I've seen have a tensioner or spring
===that returns the chuck to the top of its travel. Am I explaining that
===right? A used one I picked up, made in Japan and appears well made,
===does just the opposite. If I want to drill something I have to rotate
===the handle "back" so the drill goes up, then I can bring it down to
===drill the hole. This just seems weird. Is there a way to reverse it
===and make it "normal?" TIA.