Ed Huntress

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message

Greetings Ed,
I've done the tubular abrasive thing to drill through stones and HSS.
What worked best for me when drilling through parting tools was to put
the abrasive ( Clover compound) on the part and bringing the tube down
hard on the part with the spindle off to press the abrasive into the
face of the tube. Charging the tube with abrasive this way worked
pretty well.

Well, that sounds like something worth trying. I'll remember that the next
time I have occassion to use the method. Thanks.

The tube can be spun fairly fast without flinging all the
abrasive off. With stones I used a drilling machine that spun sorta
slow and automatically lifted the drill at regular intervals to allow
fresh abrasive slurry to enter the hole. It was real slow and the best
thing was to set it and check back later. Much later.

I've never tried it with stone. Maybe I'll try it with some local stones
I've tumbled.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)