John Normile

Karl
I have a manual for my 602 and it will be no help in determining gear
tooth counts. Just has a cut away view to identify parts. The
machine uses a double reduction gearsets.

Be careful if you disassemble the head. I had mine apart and
replaced all the bearings and seals. When putting it back together
the meshing of the plastic spindle feed gear is critical. If not
meshed with the mating steel gear, guess what happens to the little
$350 gear. The "second time' I used spacers to slowly lower the
castings together while meshing the gears.

Good luck

John Normile

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:39:34 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT to reply wrote:

Karl, can you contact Excello?

Looks like it may be time for me to find them and buy that manual. I've been
lucky and never needed special parts. But, I bet the parts manual won't show
enough detail to count teeth. By chance, does anyone know where they are
located?

Are you positive you have just one set of gears operating here?

I'll guess that its a compound reduction. After all, you don't have to
reverse the motor when you go to back gear, like on the older J head
Bridgeport machine. BTW, I just noticed an error in my post a ways back.
This machine looks a lot like a Series 1 CNC Bridgeport with a 2J style
head.