Don Foreman

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:30:47 -0500, "Catherine Jo Morgan"
wrote:

I have a woodworking friend who's bought a good grinder for sharpening
turning tools. She's mounted it on a regular metal post-style grinder base,
but it vibrates a lot. Is there a better base that would minimize this? She
has a wheel balancing kit but believes that it's the whole base that's
vibrating, not just the wheels.

Advice will be much appreciated.

A single post must be quite heavy to be stiff. The mount for my 2HP
buffer is an H-type base with a single column, both made of 2" square
steel tubing. That alone is far too flimsey, but diagonal struts
from the tips of the H to the buffer mounting plate made it very
stiff -- and it's still light enough to move easily.

I needed a rigid stand because ya don't "dress" a buffing wheel,
gotta use it like it comes and they're never perfectly balanced.