1_Patriotic_Guy

How long should a chain saw last?

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
news:Y47Zd.65835$r55.60301@attbi_s52...
Hey Brilliant One:

Perhaps the rings are shot and the additional oil helps increase the
compression, or perhaps you have a bad seal or gasket in the crankcase,
resulting in a leak.

Most chain saws don't have cylinder heads. They have one-piece cylinders
that bolt to the crankcase.

I'd say your mechanic is an idiot.

Either way, the saw is shot.

"Grey-hound" wrote in message
I for one am glad you brought this to light and that I hope you don't
listen to that "kid on their parents computer" . I too am curious if

anyone
can add to this. I once had a Poulan that acted exactly just like that.
Greyhound

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"aaa" wrote in message
I have a Stihl O21 chain saw about 5 years old, light usage. Last fall

it
developed problems starting and it got so once I would get it running,

it
would work until I shut it off then there was no getting it restarted
until it cooled. I took it to the repair shop and the guy said that the
head was warped and that it was not worth repairing. I talked to a
different guy and he told me that if I changed the gas/oil mix for 1
bottle of oil to a gallon of gas, to 2 bottles of oil to a gallon of

gas
, I might get some use out of it. I tried this, this weeked and the

thing
works like a champ. Starts every time, hot or cold. My question now is,
can this last or will it eventually sieze up? Can someone explain to me
what is going on, why the heavier oil mix would make it run?

Thanks.

Why don't you ask the idiot who gave you that advice? Why bother us

with
your problems?