The Natural Philosopher

Default Replacing cast iron waste pipe

Steve Loft wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Notmally the bath and basin are tee'ed into the same waste pipe as the
bog, or perhaps they are in different parts of the house? In which
case a separate vent or an air admittance valve may be required.

It's two completely separate waste pipes, one for the wc and one for the
basin and bath. Both waste pipes are long things going up above the roof
line, each vented at the top. I understand this was a common way of
doing things pre-60's.

Basically, I need to know if the basin and bath actually need to be
vented like this, or whether they can run straight into the drain,
bearing in mind they're on the ground floor.

They should be able to share a common downpipe. Its NOT a common way of
doing things tho. - twin stacks - unless they are physically very separate.

The stack pipe is there to relase noxious gases from the drain, and
prevent the rush of a flushed loo from sucking the water out of the bath
and basin traps. You must have at least one such stack vent somewhere.

Howver, it may be best in your case to replace all the iron work above
ground with a modern plastic stack, and get the bath and loo
installation checked over by a competent architect, who will be familiar
with modern regulations.

Whn in doubt, rip it out. Tradesmen are far better at installing new
bits than tampering with older ones. My guess is the job will work out
cheaper as well. Work out waht you want as far as layout goes, get an
architect to check over it for falls etc etc and any potential
structural problems, get a quote from decent builder, get rid of the
iron and replac with a modern plastic system.