EricP

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:59:21 -0000, "Malcolm Stewart"
babbled like a waterfall
and said:

I'd like to try recording birdsong using a microphone at the focus of
parabolic reflector.
Currently, I'm having difficulty thinking of domestic items which I could
cannibalise for their parabolic shape. Any ideas would be welcome. Best
I've thought of so far is an old radiant heater with the cylindrical heating
element at the centre of a spun reflector.

Thanks (I am aware of the professionally priced reflectors from Sweden.)

Blow up a balloon. Coat it with wax polish and then cover a suitable
end in glass fibre to the shape you require.

They are better if you also have a tube on the front to prevent side
noise.