Barry N. Turner

Normally, I use a vibrating engraver. It works best on a hardwood like
cherry or maple. End grain is even better, because the engraver tip isn't
affected as much by grain direction. On Raffan-style boxes this is great
because they are end-grain.

I have tried most techniques for signing pieces except woodburning.
Fine-tip "Sharpies" just don't do it for me........poor penmanship, I guess.
Also, I'm always afraid a "Sharpie" or a black ink pen will bleed under the
finish and ruin the piece. On my last bowl, I just used a #2 lead pencil,
then put a coat of finish over the signature. It looked about as good as
anything else I have tried. I'm still searching for that perfect method of
signing a piece.

Barry

"william kossack" wrote in message
I've seen posts on different groups suggesting that you should sign and
date your work.

My question is how to do that? With some kind of wood burning tool?
Dremel? Branding iron?